A prospective study of anatomical variation of osteomeatal complex in chronic sinusitis patients.

Karthikeyan, R (2009) A prospective study of anatomical variation of osteomeatal complex in chronic sinusitis patients. Masters thesis, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

[img]
Preview
Text
220400109karthikeyan.pdf

Download (1MB) | Preview

Abstract

Sinusitis is one of the leading health care problems nowadays, increasing in both incidence and prevalence. Various articles have been published regarding aetiopathogenesis, microbiology, anatomical variations and management aspects. The anatomical variations of osteomeatal complex per se are not the pathology for chronic sinusitis. But they predispose the individual to chronic sinusitis. In our study, all the patients have at least one anatomical variation. 88 % patients had more than one anatomical variation and the remaining 12 % had one anatomical variation. About 82 % patients had bilateral involvement. As we see, nasal septal deviation, agger nasi and concha bullosa are the commonest anatomical variation noted in chronic sinusitis patients, of which agger nasi is the commonest anatomical variation of osteomeatal complex and maxillary sinus inflammation is common with anatomical variation of anterior osteomeatal complex. Computed Tomography of the paranasal sinuses has improved the visualization of paranasal sinus anatomy and has allowed greater accuracy in evaluating para nasal sinus disease. It evaluates the osteomeatal complex anatomy which is not possible to such an extent with plain radiographs. Anatomical variations studied on computed tomography scan are found to block the osteomeatal complex, leading to impaired drainage of paranasal sinuses, thus causing chronic sinusitis. Moreover, 90% of anatomic variations are septal deviation, Agger nasi cell and Concha bullosa Most of the anatomic variations originated from aerated cells of ethmoid sinus. With the proper pre-operative evaluation of anatomical variation, we can reduce inadvertent complications during surgery and also ensure the complete clearance of the disease.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Uncontrolled Keywords: osteomeatal complex; chronic sinusitis; anatomical variation; nasal septal deviation; agger nasi; concha bullosa; maxillary sinus inflammation
Subjects: MEDICAL > Otorhinolaryngology
Depositing User: Devi S
Date Deposited: 04 Jul 2017 06:06
Last Modified: 04 Jul 2017 06:06
URI: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/id/eprint/882

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item