Histopathological Analysis and P53 Expression in Intestinal Tumors.

Arputham, A (2013) Histopathological Analysis and P53 Expression in Intestinal Tumors. Masters thesis, Thanjavur Medical College, Thanjavur.


Download (1MB) | Preview


Colorectal Cancer Ranks Second Among The Most Common Tumours Of The World According To World Cancer Report 2000.[59] There Is Worldwide Variation In The Distribution Of Intestinal Neoplasm, Which Appear Largely Due To Exogenous Factors Rather Than Genetic.[52] Colorectal Carcinomas Are Uncommon In Our Country When Compared With The Western World. The Incidence In India Is About 7 / 100000.[18] Curiously The Small Intestine Is An Uncommon Site For Tumour, Despite Its Great Length And Vast Pool Of Dividing Cells.[9] Small Bowel Tumours Account For 1- 2% Of All Gastrointestinal Neoplasms.[36] Small Intestine Tumours Are Usually Asymptomatic Or Present With Vague Symptoms. If A Small Intestinal Tumour Is Symptomatic There Is 75% Chance That It Is Malignant. The Symptoms When Present Are Usually Mild And Chronic. This Is Because Of Distensibility Of Small Bowel. Intestinal Obstruction When Present Is Chronic And Intermittent. Bleeding From The Tumours Though Present In 25% Is Usually Mild. Majority Of Colorectal Carcinomas Remain Asymptomatic For Years. They Most Often Present With Fatigue And Weakness As These Bulky Lesions Bleed Readily And Cause Anemia.[9] The Treatment Of Choice For Colorectal Carcinoma Is Surgical Resection. The Postoperative Outcome, Prognosis And Need For Adjuvant Therapy Rely On The Pathological Assessment Of Resected Specimen. The Vital Elements Of The Pathological Assessment Of Colorectal Carcinoma Specimen Include Pathological Determination Of Tnm Stage, Tumour Type, Histological Grade, Resected Margin And Vascular Invasion.[13] In This Retrospective Study Of Intestinal Tumours, Incidence With Respect To Age, Sex, Site, And Histomorphological Features Of Various Tumours Were Studied. The Present Study Also Evaluates The Role Of Tumour Suppressor Gene Protein P53 In Intestinal Neoplasms And Its Prognostic Value In Colorectal Adenocarcinomas. The Recent Literature Regarding Intestinal Tumours Were Also Reviewed And Correlated.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Histopathological Analysis; P53 Expression ; Intestinal Tumors;
Subjects: MEDICAL > Pathology
Depositing User: Subramani R
Date Deposited: 29 Jun 2017 01:39
Last Modified: 29 Jun 2017 01:39
URI: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/id/eprint/538

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item