A study to evaluate the effectiveness of video assited teaching programme on knowledge regarding breast self examination among III year female students studying at Nandha Arts and Science college, Erode

Ambika, L (2014) A study to evaluate the effectiveness of video assited teaching programme on knowledge regarding breast self examination among III year female students studying at Nandha Arts and Science college, Erode. Masters thesis, Nandha College of Nursing, Erode.

[img]
Preview
Text
3003261ambikal.pdf

Download (3MB) | Preview

Abstract

OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY : 1. To assess the knowledge regarding breast self examination, before and after video assisted teaching programme among III year female students. 2. To determine the effectiveness of video assisted teaching programme on knowledge regarding breast self examination among III year female students. 3. To find out the association between knowledge score among III year female students & with their selected demographic variables age, religion, education of the mother, type of family, place of living and marital status.. HYPOTHESES: H1; There will be significant increase in knowledge regarding Breast self examination after video assisted teaching programme Among III year female students. H2; There will be significant association between knowledge score of III year Female students and their selected demographic variables such asage, religion, education of the mother, type of family, place of living and marital status. METHODOLOGY: The conceptual framework for the present study is based on “Becker‟s Health Belief Model”. The research approach used for this study is the quantitative educative and evaluative approach was considered to be most appropriate. The research design was “Quasi experimental research design-pre experimental research design.The present study was conducted in Nandha arts and Science College at Erode. The sample for this study consisted of 100 female students studying III year at Nandha arts and science college,Erode. Stratified random sampling technique was used for the sample selection. The tools used for the data collection was self administered Multiple choice questionnaire which consist of two parts,part one was demographic data and part two was knowledge of breast self examination questionnaire. Descriptive statistics (frequency, percentage, mean, and standard Deviation) and inferential statistics (Chisquare, paired „t‟ test) were used to analyze the data and to test the hypotheses. RESULT AND INTERPRETATION: The following were the results of this study:  As per demographic characteristic,majority of female students 43 (43%) were between age group of 20-25years,47 of them (47%) were Hindu religion,34 of them (34%) were no formal education of the mother,60 of them (60%) were nuclear family members,55 of them (55%) living in urban areas,81 of them (81%) were married students.  The frequency and percentage of pretest and post test level of knowledge regarding breast self examination shows Majority of female students in pretest 95 of them (95%) had inadequate knowledge, remaining 5 of them (5%) had moderate knowledge and none of them had adequate knowledge regarding Breast self examination but in post test majority 77 of them (77%) had adequate knowledge, remaining 23 of them (23%) of them had moderately adequate knowledge and none of them inadequate knowledge regarding Breast self examination.  Over all comparison of mean values between pre test 8.35 and post test 24.18 of knowledge regarding breast self examination and „t‟ value 3.99 obtained was found to be significant at 0.05 level.This was conductedthrough video assisted teaching programme is effective in improving awareness regarding breast self examination. RECOMMENDATIONS: Based on the findings of the study the following recommendations are made ;  The study can be replicated using a large sample to validate the findings on generalization.  A similar study can be conducted by using comparative approach and comparison can be made between nurses with varying qualifications.  A study can also be done to assess the practice and attitude of the female students regarding breast self examination.  Study can be done with randomization for better result.  The study can be conducted among different groups in hospital and community settings  The study can be conducted using various research design.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Uncontrolled Keywords: Female Students ; Knowledge ; Breast self examination.
Subjects: NURSING > Obstetrics and Gynaecology Nursing
Depositing User: Ramakrishnan J
Date Deposited: 14 Jul 2017 06:34
Last Modified: 19 Nov 2017 03:43
URI: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/id/eprint/1657

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item