A comparative study to evaluate the effectiveness of selected interventions on pediculosis capitis Infestation among children in selected orphanages, Salem

Praveena, M (2018) A comparative study to evaluate the effectiveness of selected interventions on pediculosis capitis Infestation among children in selected orphanages, Salem. Masters thesis, Swamy Vivekananda College of Nursing, Dharmapuri.

[img]
Preview
Text
300228918praveena.pdf

Download (2MB) | Preview

Abstract

STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM: A Comparative study to evaluate the Effectiveness of Selected Interventions on Pediculosis Capitis Infestation among Children in Selected Orphanages, Salem. OBJECTIVES: 1. To assess the severity of pediculosis capitis infestation among children of experimental group-I and II in selected orphanages. 2. To compare the effectiveness of selected interventions on pediculosis capitis infestation among children of experimental group-I and II in selected orphanages. 3. To associate the severity of pediculosis capitis infestations among children of experimental group-I and II with their selected demographic variables. HYPOTHESES: H1: There will be a significant difference in the severity of pediculosis capitis infestation among children of experimental Group-I and II at p ≤ 0.05 level. H2: There will be a significant association in the severity of pediculosis capitis infestation among children of experimental Group-I and II with their selected demographic variables at p ≤ 0.05 level. METHODS: POPULATION: Population refers to all elements that meet criteria for inclusion of a study (Burns, N and Groove, 1997). The population of this study was the orphanage children between 6-12 years of age. They were 180 children in the orphanages between the age group of 6-12 years of age. DESCRIPTION OF THE SETTING: The study was conducted in 2 orphanages at Salem. The experimental group-I was selected from Nesakarangal at Ayyanthirumaligai which is about km away from Swami Vivekanandha College of Nursing and the experimental group-II was selected from House of Peace at Paruthikadu which is about km away from Swami Vivekanandha College of Nursing, Dharmapuri. SAMPLING: Sample: Children with pediculosis capitis infestation in the selected orphanages and those who met the criteria. Sample size: The sample size was 60 orphanage children with pediculosis capitis infestation. Among them 30 children in experimental group-I and 30 children in experimental group-II. Sampling technique: Non-probability convenience sampling technique. Criteria for sample selection: Inclusion criteria: • School going children mbetween 6-12 years of age group. • Female children those who are willing to participate. • Children suffering from pediculosis capitis infestation. Exclusion criteria: • Children with any scalp infections. • Children with scalp injuries. • Children with any serious medical illness. The findings are summarized as follows, Distribution of samples according to their demographic variables, shows that highest percentage of children, 19 (63.3%) in experimental group-I & 18 (60%) in experimental group-II were in the age group of 10-12 years. • Most of the children were having infestation more than 3 months in experimental group-I were 21 (70%) & in experimental group-II were 24 (80%). • Fifty percentage of the children,15 were from experimental group-I and 20 (66.6%) children from experimental group-II were staying in a room with more than 6 members. • Maximum percentage of children not using separate comb in the experimental group-I were 20 (66.6%) & in experimental group-II were 22 (73.3%). • Maximum percentage of the children, 17 (56.6%) in experimental group-I were using separate towel, but in experimental group-II maximum percentage of the children 21 (70%) were not using separate towel. • Highest percentage of children 14 (46.6%) were washing the hair once in a week in experimental group-I. But in experimental group-II, the highest percentage of the children 14 (46.6%) were washing the hair once in two weeks. • Majority of the children, 21 (70%) in experimental group-I and 17 (56.6%) in experimental group-II were using shampoo. • Highest percentage of the children 16 (53.3%) were exposed to previous treament in experimental group-I, whereas in experimental group-II almost all the children, 27 (90%) were not exposed to previous treatment. • Most of the children, who exposed to previous tretment, 14 (87.5%) in experimental group-I, and 2 (66.6%) in experimental group-II were used Medikar. • Majority of the children 11 (68.75%) in experimental group-I, and 2 (66.6%) in experimental group-II were exposed to treatment before 6 months. • Majority of the children 14 (46.6%) in experimental group-I and 16 (53.3%) in experimental group-II were having average educational performance. • Majority of the children 16 (53.3%) in experimental group-I and 17 (56.6%) in experimental group-II were having dandruff. • Highest percentage of children 13 (43.3%) in experimental group-I were staying in orphanage for 1-3 years. But in the experimental group-II the highest percentage of children 11 (36.6%) were staying in orphanage for less than one year. • In the experimental group-I, most of the children 25 (83.33%) had moderate infestation in the pre-test, whereas in the experimental group-II, maximum percentage of children 17 (56.66%) had moderate infestation and the remaining 13 (43.33%) children had severe infestation in pre-test. • In experimental group-I most of them, 26 (86.66%) had mild infestation in posttest, whereas in experimental group-II majority of them, 23 (76.66%) had moderate infestation, only 6 (20%) children had mild infestation in the post-test. • In the experimental group-I, the pre-test mean score was 5.83 ± 0.98, whereas in experimental group-II the pre-test mean score was 6.43 ± 1.16. However, in the experimental group-I the post-test mean score was 2.56 ± 0.81, whereas in experimental group-II post-test mean score was 4.36 ± 1.32. The independent ‘t’ value was 6.94 which was highly significant at p < 0.001 level. Hence, the formulated hypothesis (H1) is retained. • In the experimental group-I there was a significant association between the severity of pediculosis capitis infestation and the demographic variable, frequency of hair wash. • In the experimental group-II, there was a significant association between the severity of pediculosis capitis infestation and the demographic variable, product used for hair wash. • Hence, the formulated hypothesis (H2) is retained only for these two variables in experimental group-I and II. CONCLUSION: Conclusion was derived from the findings of the study. In the experimental group-I, maximum percentage of the children 25 (83.33%) had moderate infestation in the pre-test and maximum percentage of them, 26 (86.66%) had mild infestation in post-test. In the experimental group-II, highest percentage of children 17 (56.66%) had moderate infestation and the remaining 13 (43.33%) children had severe infestation in pre-test and majority of them 23 (76.66%) had moderate infestation, only 6 (20%) children had mild infestation in the post-test. It implies that neem oil with vinegar was effective in reducing pediculosis capitis infestation than Medikar shampoo.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Additional Information: Reg.no.301617751
Uncontrolled Keywords: pediculosis Capitis Infestation, Children, selected Orphanages, Salem.
Subjects: NURSING > Paediatric Nursing
Depositing User: Subramani R
Date Deposited: 29 Sep 2019 15:58
Last Modified: 05 Oct 2019 06:20
URI: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/id/eprint/11632

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item