A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise on the level of Stress among Early Adolescent School Children in Alchemy public school at Coimbatore

Kalaiyarasi, M (2018) A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise on the level of Stress among Early Adolescent School Children in Alchemy public school at Coimbatore. Masters thesis, PPG College of Nursing, Coimbatore.

[img]
Preview
Text
300215418kalaiyarasi.pdf

Download (1MB) | Preview

Abstract

STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM: A study to assess the effectiveness of progressive muscle relaxation exercise on the level of stress among early adolescent school children in Alchemy public school at Coimbatore. OBJECTIVES: 1. To assess the level of stress among early adolescent school children. 2. To provide progressive muscle relaxation exercise to experimental group. 3. To assess the effectiveness of progressive muscle relaxation exercise on level of stress among experimental and control group. 4. To correlate the level of stress among early adolescent school children for experimental and control group. 5. To associate the level of stress among early adolescent school children with selected demographic variables. The conceptual frame work used in this study was Callista Roy’s Adaptation Theory (1996). METHOLDOLOGY: A non equivalent quasi experimental pre and post intervention two groups design was used. The sample size consisted of 60 adolescent school children (30 in experimental group and 30 in control group), selected by simple random sampling technique – lottery method. The experimental group was taught about progressive muscle relaxation technique. They practiced the exercises every day for 30 minutes in the presence of investigator. Pre and post intervention assessment of level of stress was done by using stress assessment scale. The data was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics. RESULTS: Most of the samples 26 (86.7%) in experimental group and 21 (70.0%) in control group had moderate level of stress, 1 (3.3%) in experimental group and 6 (20.0%) in control group had low level of stress and remaining 3 (10.0%) in experimental group and 3 (10.0%) control group had severe level of stress before intervention. After intervention on 15th day, nearly half of the samples 12 (40.0%) in experimental group had low level of stress compared to control group with 2 (6.7%) samples.18 (60.0%) samples in experimental group and 26 (86.7%) samples in control group had moderate level of stress and remaining 2 (6.7%) in control group had severe level of stress. After intervention on 30th day, majority of the samples 29 (96.7%) in experimental group had low level of stress and 26 (86.7%) in control group had moderate level of stress and remaining 4 (13.3%) in control group had severe level of stress.After the intervention on 30th day the mean overall stress score reduced to 14.57 from in the experimental group where as in the control group at increased to 37.23. There was a significant difference in the mean stress score of overall dimension in experimental and control group after the intervention on 15th day (t=4.043, df=58, P < 0.05) and on 30th day (t=14.925, df=58, P < 0.05). CONCLUSION: This study concluded that deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation technique had a significant effect on reducing stress among adolescent school children.

Item Type: Thesis (Masters)
Additional Information: Reg.No.301616104
Uncontrolled Keywords: Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise, Stress, Early Adolescent School Children, Alchemy public school, Coimbatore.
Subjects: NURSING > Paediatric Nursing
Depositing User: Subramani R
Date Deposited: 28 Sep 2019 17:50
Last Modified: 29 Sep 2019 02:02
URI: http://repository-tnmgrmu.ac.in/id/eprint/11610

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item